Monday, December 18, 2006
The High Elves demanded that my Everquest Guild attend...
Eragon managed to pull in a booming $23 million this weekend despite some of my favorite review quotes of the year:
- A load of generic mush perhaps best served as a piece of bitchin' '70s van art.
- For those who love the fantasy genre known as sword and sorcery -- and I count myself in their number -- sitting through the movie version of Eragon will suck the will to live right out of you.
- "Eragon" is based on a book by a 19-year-old with a script that seems to have been written by a 12-year-old.
- Eragon has the courage of its earnest, borderline-humorless convictions.
- It's a large-scale fantasy that plays like a rerun... Paolini began his novel when he was 15, and the simplicity of 'Eragon'... might bring back memories of high school writing workshops.
- It's mostly just a bunch of actors trying to look involved while attempting to act through their bad wigs and Studio 54 reject outfits.
- Eragon's fantastical milieu may be third-class Lord of the Rings, but its story--in what may constitute the most shameless act of plagiarism known to American cinema--is pure Star Wars.
- Been to that galaxy, done that ring.